Sunday, 27 May 2012

Blossom Bag - Amy Butler - Free Pattern

Amy Butler's Blossom bag pattern is available free  here
It has mixed reviews regarding the instructions, and many have complained that they are not comprehensive enough.  I found them easy enough to follow, but I have made MANY other bags & maybe that is what is needed.  This is not a bag for a beginner.

I used a Toile de jouy which is thicker than quilting cotton fabric, with a quilting weight cotton lining.  This combination worked very well.
My interfacing is a gorgeous sew in product from CeKa - find them online here, as is my heavy weight stiffening.  I deal with Christiane from CeKa & she is great!  She sent me a booklet with samples of all their products when I expressed interest in their range, so now I can order as I need specific products.  Delivery time is great, as are prices!  You can read more about my great experiences with them & how I have used the products  here.
Here is my completed bag...





I added this 'rear view' in to show the adaptation I made... I added the flap into the seam instead of over - I think it gives it a more finished look. 
The only other thing I did a little different - I left a gap where the lining side panel joined to the base panel of the lining and used that gap to turn the lining inside the bag & hand stitched it closed right at the end.
I did not add the inner dividers as I do not feel the bag needs them.


What I would rather do is add a zipped pocket to the inner - I use that for keys etc, the bigger space left when no dividers are added, means that my oversized wallet & my kindle can be popped in & out of the bag more easily.

This is a lovely bag & I will be making another in more vibrant fabric!

No comments:

Post a Comment