Sunday, 24 February 2013

Quilted (fabric) Placemats with binding

After reading this, you should know everything you ever needed to know to make any quilted, bound placemat your heart desires.  Of course you can also make table runners, mug rugs, tray cloths, quilts... using these methods.

Things you can do on placemats:

EASY all in one stitching:
VIDEO
You add all in one:  batting, backing and the front panel of your placemat
You can also use this without the backing fabric, but rather a thin cotton (to stop your feeddogs hooking to your wadding), and then appliqué  after this, THEN add your backing fabric.
OR, you could top stitch around designs in your fabric before you add your backing.
As I have done around the bird & branches below:


Stitch in the Ditch:  VIDEO
Use this to make your panels pop!

TIPS for Applique:
Try bond-a-web!!
Read through this helpful guide.  You can buy bond a web online as well as at Volksfaden (and other craft/ fabric supply stores - I just happen to know Linda at Volksfaden stocks it).

If your machine has a blanket stitch, this is a lovely way to stitch down applique pieces.

To hold your pieces together (main fabric, wadding & backing) while you sew, use safety pins!!  This video has MANY good tips!

Adding your binding:
I like to use a double folded strip, cut from co-ordinating fabric.  The width of your strip will depend on the fullness of your wadding, but in the placemat you see above I used a 6cm strip.

You cut your strips on the bias & join them as you did for bias binding - see the three links below.
TIPS & tricks
Bias
When we made piping

You should know what to do after reading the above :)

Then I add my strips like this

BUT, I finish my ends like this.  LOVE her method!!  And her video is clear & concise.

Here are loads of ideas for your placemat on my Pinterest Board.  Don't you adore Pinterest?!?!  Not a member yet?  WHY on earth not???  It is AMAZING!  Thanks Mandy for introducing me to it right in the beginning!  I get so many great ideas here & it is wonderful for filing all those creative ideas & tips.

I think that about does it on the placemats!  Sorry I sent you all over the net, but why reinvent the wheel  :)

Happy stitching!!

Di








No comments:

Post a Comment