Wednesday, 8 January 2014

Handmade Journal Cover

Start of a new year, time to get journalling again!

These days I am ALWAYS complaining that I have the memory of a goldfish.  When I was younger, I could recall everything and everyone, and was generally the person called upon to remember the name of that kid that spent one term in our class in grade II.  These days, if I meet you today, I'll be lucky if I remember your name tomorrow!   I suspect it is because, as we get older,  our lives become a whirlpool of activities and people.  That, and living in a new country, everyone I know, I met within the last six years, and I have met A LOT of people, been a load of new places, taken part in a myriad of new activities - a whirlpool!

So, to help the old memory along, it's time to get journalling again!  Last year I had started 'my day in doodles', but only kept it up for a week!  Maybe this time I will be better…

Pages from 'My day in Doodles'

and yes, I really did eat 3 mashed potatoes and a can of sardines for breakfast - I'm an odd eater!

But, journalling is not just a great way to remind you of days gone by, what you did, who you met… it is also a great way to keep in shape creatively!
Have a look at these images (from other peoples' blogs) - I find them incredibly inspirational!
See Regina's wonderful blog here:  http://blog.creativekismet.com

Donna's blog is AMAZING!  She has videos & is happy to share all her creative secrets! 
Be sure to have a look :  http://donnadowney.typepad.com

There are MANY MANY many more amazing and inspirational art journaling blogs out there, click here for more inspiration.  (Don't you just adore Pinterest?!)

Anyway, as sewing is my main passion, I had to have a fabric cover for my new journal - right??  And, as free motion embroidery is my latest obsession, it had to include some of that too!








I plan on making some journal covers for the Björn Schulz STIFTUNG's next market to raise funds for seriously ill kids and their families.  I think the next market is in May at the Blossom Festival, which is always great fun to attend - it is away from the drunken hordes, so you can go along with the entire family and enjoy the countryside and the beautiful scenery.  There is always yummy food to try, and of course, you have to take a bottle of fruit wine home with you!  All in the name of a good cause.