Wednesday, 11 June 2014

A bit of DIY

We have moved!  Moved continent, moved country, moved!

A move always involves a shuffle of one's possessions to fit the new space, it means clearing out, passing on, throwing away, and general de-cluttering.  Especially if you are moving from a large, spacious, Berlin apartment to a lovely, but small, English Victorian home!  Space is limited.

With the beauty of old English homes, often comes the need to update, refresh and roll up your sleeves for a bit of DIYing.

Take for example our guest bathroom floor...

This is the before pic:

Not so great, right?  Not sure I would like to step onto that after a nice bath in that awesome tub.

The solution?

I hired an edge sander, got all that old, worn, uneven stain off, closed the gaps between the boards with a compound made of PVA and the sawdust (reducing draughts and dust), and sealed the floor leaving its natural colour.  The step into the room is not wood, but rather particle board, so the same treatment was not an option.  Instead I sanded it down and painted it with non slip bathroom/ kitchen floor paint to match the side of the tub.

After three days of great-workout, manual labour, here it is…







While I have done A LOAD of sanding over the years, I have never sanded down an entire floor.  But, once again, it is astounding what you can learn to do watching YouTube videos!  I discovered which equipment would be the best for the job at hand, how to use said equipment, and how to avoid pitfalls.  The tips and tricks I learned in this way saved me from making all the rookie mistakes, and left me with a floor I am very proud of.  An edge sander is my new equipment-crush!  I hired two edge sanders to get the job done as a second sanding was needed after the gap filling process.  The edge sander I hired from Jewsons was in perfect running order, was clearly well maintained and ran like a dream.  The second I hired from HomeBase tool hire.  The same can not be said of this one!  It bounced like a maniac, requiring me to hover it over the surface instead of simply running it over the floor, leaving my arms rather well-toned, but making it a much harder task!  I read online that the cause of this bouncing is a worn rubber disc and lack of weight-balancing being done as part of the machine's maintenance.  I will be sticking to Jewsons from now on!

I have ordered a very narrow console table to cover the unsightly cement block (laid to cover the fireplace that had to be removed when the extra level was added to the house).  I found a reasonably priced furniture maker online who makes bespoke pieces.  He is making me a single drawer console with a towel rod under the drawer.  A practical dual purpose piece!  In the interim the rug will suffice.

Now I am off to lounge in that lovely aqua water with my book and a glass of red wine, I figure I have worked hard enough today :)

Happy DIYing!!!