Wednesday, 25 June 2014

Shower curtains

Shower curtains are somewhat of a 'necessary evil' in my opinion.  I know we need them, but I hate feeling them touch on me as I shower, don't generally love the pattern options you can find them in, and am not wild about their plastic nature.  In general, not my fav decor item!  But sometimes you just cannot avoid them, and in such cases, a bit of time behind the sewing machine can always turn an eyesore into, well, almost a swan!

Before:



After:



Before:

hhhmmmm…. not looking too good, right?

After:



Much better, right?
I bought plain white shower curtains with metal grommets, and sewed these to the back of a pretty fabric that suited each bathroom.  You could also use oil cloth, or laminate the wrong side of the fabric, but then you would have to add your own grommets, and I was being a bit lazy!

I simply cut a circular opening for the shower controls, and used a lighter to seal the edges of this - the upside of working with a completely synthetic material.  I also shortened the bought shower curtains so that they no longer wallows in the soap suds, but are just longer than the sides of the tub, while the fabric is slightly longer.  The shortened plastic lining means less chance of the curtain touching on you as you lather up as it is no longer pulling into the space by the slope and weight of the plastic.  It also means the bottom of the curtain no longer sits in the water, causing discoloration and allows quicker drying time, avoiding mildew growth.  I did not attach the lining to the fabric at the side seams so that the lining can sit inside the tub, while the fabric hangs on the outside.

Such a quick, simple fix, that doesn't cost a fortune, and takes no time at all, but seriously refreshes the bathrooms.